-Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities
As I read this passage, I was filled with horror, disgust and almost fear. The French Revolution was such a godless, horrible, bloody revolution. I tremble and shudder to think of all the bloodshed and heartache the rebels caused. So many were killed; so many lost loved ones. No matter how oppressed they were, the people went about gaining liberty in the wrong way. And, the thing that scares me the most, was how godless it was. Did you know that the Republic created their own religion to the "goddess of reason"? Made her up and forced the people to worship her, too! The Guillotine ranked above the Cross? What a terrifying, chilling thought.
2 comments:
This, indeed, is terrible. May Christ save us from replacing His Cross with anything.
As I read the Tale of Two cities I had the same thoughts...many people had such a humanistic approach to what they thought was right. Aristocrats & poor alike were focused on themselves,Not God.
Post a Comment