A kindly little deed...
And then I called to all the world
To stop and look and heed.
They stopped and looked and flattered me
In words I could not trust,
And when the world had gone away
My good deed turned to dust.
A very tiny courtesy
I found to do today;
'Twas quickly done, with none to see,
And then I ran away...
But Someone must have witnessed it,
For -- truly I declare --
As I sped back the stong path
Roses were blooming there!"
As I read this poem, my mind immediately wandered to all the celebrities who are doing very beneficial things for our world, but who are "call[ing] to all the world to stop and look and heed," as the poem says. But, I really shouldn't be bothering about what the celebrities are doing. Rather, I should be worried about myself. Do I do things to be noticed, to gain praise and attention? All to often, my answer is yes. Lets all follow the lead of this wise poet and do our good deeds and then rush away, for truly, the only Someone worth doing things for is going to witness it, and will reward us in the end!
No comments:
Post a Comment