Her first object was to make her child acquainted with the character and goodness of God, and to awaken and call forth in her tender heart a sincere regard and filial affection towards her heavenly Father...In a similar manner, Matilda taught her daughter to look from the creature to the Creator. From all his works -- from the dewdrop as it glittered upon the leaf, to the sun in the heavens, in whose rays it basked -- from the changing seasons, with the beauties and blessings which they brought -- from all, she took occasion to teach Rosa useful lessons, and impress her mind with the goodness of God to us, and our duty and obligations to him, so that she could scarcely look up on a flower, or eat an apple or a peach, without being reminded of the instructions of her mother. Whilst engaged in some useful employment this pious mother repeated to her daughter such interesting histories from the Bible...Especially was she delighted to hear her mother speak of the Saviour...She noticed his affectionate regard and prompt obedience to his parents, and how he grew in favor with God and man; and formed the most determined resolution never to displease and disobey her parents, and to grow better every day...When her mother spoke of the sufferings in which the innocent Jesus took upon himself, out of love to the perishing and guilty, and how, when bleeding and dying, he prayed his heavenly Father to forgive his murderers, she was melted to tears, and determined to consecrate herself entirely to Him who loved her and gave himself for her. Thus this pious mother taught her daughter to know and love her God, and her divine Redeemer. - Rosa of Linden Castle, Christoph Von Schmid
Today is Mother's Day. My mother is an extremely special woman. I wish that I could describe to my mother my gratefulness, my love and how honored I am to have her as a mother. I cannot, though, and so, yet again, I must borrow the words of a different person who is far abler than I am with words. As described in this passage, one of the things I am most thankful for in my mother is the way she has brought me up to love, obey and glorify my heavenly Father. The rest of the chapter in this book describes the way this mother taught her daughter submission, benevolence, complete obedience, industry and to flee from dangerous sins like pride and vanity.
As I read this chapter, all I could think of was my mother. She has carefully and painstakingly loved me and trained me to be a woman of the Lord. How I wish I could be the young woman she has sought to mold me into. Thank you, Mama, from the bottom of my heart for taking all the time to raise me into a godly young woman. Thank you for not only supplying my needs, but for doing your best to please my little trifling wants and desires. You truly are the best woman I know, and I am proud to call you my Mother. I love you, Mama.
I rise up and call you blessed! "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all."
2 comments:
Blessed. That's what I am.
Thank you, dearest daughter. Your words are honey - no, they are chocolate and peanut butter! - to my soul. I am forever grateful for the blessing that you (and your sisters) are to me. I simply don't deserve this kindness from God. But, I'm grateful.
I love you dear. More than you'll ever know.
Humbled and amazed,
Mom
How sweet JE...you and your mom are blessed to have one another! God is INDEED kind! :)
Post a Comment