Monday, August 17, 2009

Thoughts on Biblical Dress

"Do not let your adorning be external -- the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing -- but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious." 1 Peter 3:3-4

In a Bible study I am doing, The Joy of Womanhood, I am studying this passage. This morning, one of the study questions was, "What clothing would God consider beautiful? Use Scripture as a basis for your answer." This is what I came up with:

According to 1 Timothy 2:9, our dress should be modest and show self-control. It shouldn't reveal a heart that seeks gratification in the sinful desires of this world. Our clothing is to be respectable and simple, not rich or expensive (in other words, not trying to out do others). It should be tasteful. Christian women should never wear clothes that would cause a brother (or a sister!) to stumble in their walk with the Lord. (Romans 14:13) As in all things, our clothing should not show a woman who compromises and conforms to the world but rather one who has been transformed by Jesus' sacrifice! (Romans 12:2) When others see us, they shouldn't draw a parallel between us and the adulteress and seductress described in Provers 5, 7 and 9. Women should also dress practically. They should dress mindful of their duties, the weather and their day. (Proverbs 31:21) Godly women should be beautiful. I bring up again the ever insightful Psalm 144:12. I think this verse applies not only to daughters, but all women! Women should dress in a manner that is beautifying! A woman's attire should always reflect the fact that she is a woman and that she is a Christian and that her Lord has given her strength, power and a clean heart. (Proverbs 31:17 and 25)

Though this isn't an exhaustive list of all that the Word has to say on modesty, I am definitely going to be keeping these Scriptures in mind as I dress each day! May God give all of us the grace to dress in a manner that is pleasing to Him!

No comments: