Saturday, January 2, 2010

Late Night Walk

Tonight I went on a walk. It was a short romp, no longer than fifteen minutes, just long enough to enjoy the last twinklings of Christmas lights before they are boxed away into attics and garages for another year. Nothing spectacular. I set off with no specific goal in mind; I simply thirsted for a solitary ramble. Yet, a naturalist once noted that "in every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." As I tramped along, the cold, night air filling my lungs and simple, sincere songs ringing in my mind's ear, I was rejuvenated -- not only bodily but mentally. I arrived home, thoroughly chilled, but calm and at peace. Serene, tranquil, quiet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane Ellen, you have a wonderful talent for vivid description! Beautiful post!

ReBenMyers said...

Sounds wonderful. I would love such a walk. I must tell you what O-man said at dinner. "mom, I am so sad ther is no parade." What parade, I asked. "The parade on the wall with baby Jesus and His mommy and daddy." "This is a sad time." I've never seen a kid get so upset with Christmas being over. He is really upset!

Unknown said...

Unfortunately, Alexandra, my vivid writing comes in spurts. I guess it's all a matter of cultivation and practice, isn't it?

Poor, Olin! I miss Christmas time too. We went shopping the day after Christmas, and I was looking around at all the garlands and twinkle lights. It's so sad that they're all coming down!

Love in Christ,
Jane Ellen