Monday, March 8, 2010

Pulling Out that Soapbox Again

Ahem. So some of ya'll might remember this post in which I ranted and raved about the atrocities of Halloween decorations. Today's post has a totally different topic: history.

Recently, my family has enjoyed the glories of reliving history at Civil War reenactments in our area. On Saturday we attended the Battle of Natural Bridge all decked out in period correct hoop skirts and day dresses. (Well, everyone except Daddy, of course! :D) Meeting up with some of our wonderful friends and my amazing great uncle, we strolled about campsites and surveyed the sutler's wares.

Then came the battle. I'll admit, I do enjoy watching the battles. The smoke, booms, and banners excite more than a little bit of patriotism within my heart. Seated next to me were a few young boys who, like most schoolboys, reveled in the skirmish. I smiled at their boyish enthusiasm.

Now, don't get me wrong, I wasn't "droppin' no eaves." You simply can't ignore conversations that are being yelled over cannon thundering two feet away from you. When I heard one of the boys say, "Why does the name Gettysburg sound familiar," I almost had a heart attack. Well, Tommy, Gettysburg was only the location of one of the most important battles in all the War! Aaaaaa!

Now, I understand that most people aren't any where near the history buff I am. I'm also aware that these boys were young, possibly in the fifth grade (although, I think sixth is nearer the mark). However, shouldn't they know what Gettysburg is when they hear it?

But, if that wasn't bad enough, I nearly died when I heard one of the boys say, "Now, this is that war between the redcoats and the bluecoats, right?"

*noises that sounds something like suffocation*

First off, young man, there is no such thing as a "bluecoat." Secondly, the is the CIVIL WAR (or, to be officially correct, though not politically, the War Between the States). Am I wrong in expecting sixth graders to know the difference between the War for American Independence and the War for Southern Independence?

Please, please, please, public school system shape up on your education of American history. I understand that world history could be hard to grasp for children; I'll even admit that much of these boys' problem might be self inflicted. However, I know for a fact, that if the school systems in this country would step up the intensity (much less show the fascination) of history, I believe that we wouldn't have children so wholly clueless on their heritage.

I mean, for goodness' sake, in times gone by, children reveled in the glories of history. Young boys were Robin Hoods tromping about with bands of merry men. The next moment, they were George Washingtons leading the patriots to victory. Girls were Lady Guineveres looking out upon gardeners or Molly Pitchers bringing water to exhausted men. What has happened?

If quotes like "those who forget history are doomed to repeat it" are true (as I think they are) we're in for a whole bunch of trouble.

End of rant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janie, You are CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

Sadly, I am not sure I knew much more about Gettysburg or the Civil War in 6th grade. My mom was a single mom just trying to make ends meet and get us to school. School history meant "read the chapter, memorize the dates, answer the questions at the end of the chapter & pass the test". No one made history fun or meaningful. Ryan on the other hand had teachers who taught the WHY of history more than the dates. He has taught me WAY more than any teacher or professor I have ever had. I have a college degree (and paid LOT$$$$$ for it) but I promise my history lessons that have taught me the most were from Ryan, movies (Patriot, Pearl Harbor, Thriteen Days, etc.) and home schooling my own children. The past 4 years have been the BIGGEST learning lessons as I have taught and learned! So...don't hold it against the young boys, they aren't getting fed! I love you JE! :)