Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ramblings

And when I say ramblings, I really mean it. I composed this little entry while sitting outside with a little free time.

The trees are flowering; the sun is out.
Birds are chirping; spring is back.

It's amazing how the air on a Florida spring day is so wet and heavy you feel like you could wring the moisture out. The climate turns hot again. Te atmosphere's so thick, you feel as if you'll suffocate simply trying to breathe. And yet, for all these inconvenient elements, there's something lovely and comforting about Florida springs.

Because, for all its wetness, the air has an element of enveloping embraces to match the sun's kisses. The heat on a spring day isn't as intense or stifling as a summer one. And you never have to breathe in that thick air to the point of suffocation, for at just the right moment, a cool, soft breeze whisks it away and offers, thin, clean air.

Ah. Life truly is a beautiful gift. And so much lovelier it is when there are everyday miracles to wonder at and be grateful for. I stand amazed that people can live in the midst of such beauty and wonder and yet reject the Creator of it all, the Sustainer of life and nature.

Of course, I love the "big" things in life, too -- the pyramids, the Mona Lisa, Clair de Lune, Paris, the Great Wall. Yet, isn't it a blessing that while living life day to day and week to week, we can enjoy the glories of simple miracles -- a child's sandcastle, an absent-minded doodle, the melodious chirrup of birds, Ft. Payne, a picket fence.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts.
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Amen.

The doxology. It's been ringing in my head for days now. Maybe because this single well-known, oft-sung chorus sums up so perfectly the overflow of a soul utterly filled with wonder at our amazing, generous God. He is indescribably perfect: perfect in form, perfect in deeds, perfect for me. People worry about finding "Mr. Perfect." I glory in the fact that I've found my Perfect One, my Redeemer.

No comments: