
Then Iluvatar spoke, and he said: 'Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor; but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, that ye may see what ye have done. And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined. . . . Behold your Music! This is your minstrelsy; and each of you shall find contained herein, amid the design that I set before you, all those things which it may seem that he himself devised or added. And thou, Melkor, wilt discover all the secret thoughts of thy mind, and wilt perceive that they are but a part of the whole and tributary to its glory.'
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion
3 comments:
It's been several years (read: too long) since I last read "The Silmarillion," but I vividly remember being swept away by its opening -- not only the beauty of the writing, but the subject! I'm between books right now, and always find it hard to decide what to read next; now I strongly suspect my next one will be "The Silmarillion!" Thank you for making my decision easy ;-)
Blessings,
Shannon
Unfortunately, I have started The Silmarillion several times, but for some reason or another, I have been interrupted. Nonetheless, the depth that Tolkien imbeds in the first few chapters is magnificent!
Happy Reading!
In Christ,
Jane Ellen
What an awesome quote from my favorite author of all time! Tolkien's work is magnificent. I am reading the Silmarillion right now and enjoying it! His imagination takes my breath away, I know now that I have met my master of fantasy! Whatever I write will never surpass it.
Post a Comment