Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Autumn


Nature XXVII, Autumn
Emily Dickinson

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry's cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I'll put a trinket on.

Autumn is here in name, if not in deed. Perhaps soon I can join Miss Dickinson and add a few trinkets into my wardrobe -- sweaters, coats, scarves, fuzzy socks, etc. -- and perhaps even special food into my diet (Oh the apples, the pumpkins, the cranberries!). Happy fall to those of you who are already enjoying is gorgeousness. And for the rest, let's pray that she scurries her way on over. I'm keeping watch at the window, waiting for the trees to don their harvest gaiety!

In case none of you guessed, fall is my favorite season. *wink*

2 comments:

ReBenMyers said...

Amen! Janie, mine too. I just love the whole season. EVERYTHING is warmer, cozier, and people are generally nicer. Probably because they are not sweating profusly by just going out to get the mail. I also look forward to using the bun warmers in the car!!!

Unknown said...

:D You make me laugh!