She and I have grown close together so much over the years. We share (most times willingly) a lot. Late at night, we whisper little secrets and giggle over indescribable silliness that only sisters find funny. We rejoice at each others victories and sympathize with losses. And our spats are usually only reserved to the (lack of) cleanliness in our room. ;)
We are, in short, sisters, best of friends.
Today, however, we learned of a large cyst on her left femur that is causing her great pain and could, if she puts pressure on it, fracture her femur. This whole experience has been one long and tortuous 36-hour roller coaster for more than one reason.
Begin with a very busy and exhausting week of rehearsals for a local opera that I am performing in. Then doctors call having spotted a growth of some sort on a major bone. That's just a little disconcerting. Then a dear sister goes back in for more x-rays as I head to the college -- not where I wanted to be at that moment. When I receive a call from my sister reassuring me that the growth is only a cyst (as opposed to other . . . unpleasantries), I sigh with relief and thankfulness.
Fast forward to lunchtime, when I receive another call from Katie. Enter phrases like "large cyst," "thin femur," "possible fracture," "MRI," "Shans Hospital," "surgery," etc. Elder sisterness kicks in. (By the way, that's the nice way of saying that Jane Ellen has an internal freak out because one of her beloved is endangered.)
But, God is good and faithful and merciful and perfect and everything I could possibly need right now. While at the school, He provided people I could to "gush" to, quiet time to draw from His well of strength, homework to distract me, and peace that surpasses understanding.
After rereading this, I think the wording makes everything seem more scary than it really is right now. Katie is chilling on the couch and churning out folded laundry at a record rate for our family. She has been given a new nickname due to the occasional hopping on one foot she must do: The Dufflepud. I am growing in joyfulness, thanksgiving, trust, and reliance upon the Father.
Can I really ask for more?
Yes, I can. Please pray for our family as we ford this, admittedly, foggy river. I'll be back soon with more updates. Love to you all!
4 comments:
Thanks, dearest! I love you, too.
The dufflepud is now a VERY happy dufflepud, because she can walk!! Never have I wanted crutches so badly in my life, and now I have them! Hopefully they have resolved the need for hopping on one foot from me, and scolding from Gracie and you! Hehe
Honestly, I was laughing hysterically when Mom told me about the whole "large cyst," "thin femur," "possible fracture," "MRI," "Shans Hospital," "surgery," etc. In a short (well, actually a LONG) 24 hours, I had gone from hip flexor pain and Physical Therapy to Large Cyst, Thin Femur and Surgery at Shans! What a whirlwind!
Thanks for your kind and encouraging words, sister!
I love you!
Katie (I'm in denial about all those other names...)
Jane Ellen,
I'm so sorry to hear about Katie's cyst! I hope and pray that the doctors will be able to deal with it swiftly and effectively -- and most of all, that God will give peace to Katie and all of you! I guess this means no running for Katie for a while? :-(
We'll be keeping y'all in prayer!
Love,
Shannon
At this point, Shannon, she's not even able to walk on that leg!
She gets an MRI tomorrow (at 6:15 in the morning, may I add), so we'll see what that brings!
Thanks for the prayers!
Love,
Jane Ellen
P.S. the horrible picture of me you selected to go with your post looks like something that would be on a funeral program. It's that typical fuzzy head shot... FYI, I'm not dead... yet. :P
Post a Comment