Friday, June 17, 2011

Who Am I?

(Leonardo da Vinci, La Scapigliata)

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body." ~ C.S. Lewis

This is my soul-song right now, that driving thought which feeds every fiber of my being. True, I've read this line time and again, yet until recently, I've not truly digested it.

Think about it for a moment. Do you live this way? When asked for your profile or for your "about me," does it favor this one, the likes of which I see too often? "My name is Bryan. I'm ~5'11" Brown hair, brown eyes, average body build..." Is this skin what defines you, what defines me?

Such thoughts aren't merely for the Augustines and the Luthers and the Spurgeons the Lewises of our age. The answers are key to every aspect of life. For instance ...

... are we more apt to care for our bodies or nurture our souls? I cannot count the number of mornings that a physical breakfast has trumped a spiritual one. I cannot count the minutes that I analyze my face before a mirror yet continually leave my soul -- or should I say "my-self" -- in disorder, filth, or plain and simple neglect.

Who am I? Jane Ellen, 5'7" (and three-quarters, might I add... ;-) ), blonde hair, fair skin, brown eyes, average build? Or an orphaned, worm of a girl, utterly eaten with and enslaved to sin, who has been chosen out of billions to become a beloved daughter, an heiress, a bride by and to the Creator of the World, the Personal God?

Who am I? Who are you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your posts! I only wish there were more of them! Please post again soon I am eagerly awaiting your next post.