The Leaves
Maryland, September 7, 2011
Who dares to pluck the feathers from the trees so strong and high
And choose to treat as poultry God's great pillars of delight?
Who shears the bushy wool from verdant, pasture-dwelling folk
To leave so bare and naked trees like wheels with spindle-y spokes?
'Tis autumn, cruel and cold, who rips leafy plumage from the sky
And clips all warmth and color from tall oak, beech and pine.
Like death, he whispers and down she comes, gone with but a stroke;
Summer's destined time to fall, her jewels choked in gard'ner's smoke.
Just so you know, I have nothing 'gainst autumnal cheer and season; indeed, I've longed for a relished this moment, when I could see the transition coming! I love fall -- it is my favorite season -- but this is what flowed from mind to pen today... Just so you know.
2 comments:
This is so beautiful! You are such a talented writer! Keep up the good work!
Jane Ellen,
Mrs. Bunting here...and I have goose bumps at your imagery. Beautiful! You are a kindred spirit, my dear. An old soul. Keep up the beauty. I'll expect to read more this year!
Post a Comment