tug of war
push and pull
like a fat man
in a small door
they squeeze
and call and cry
with effusive faces
and merry hearts
leaving the field
and littered stadium
popcorn and potato chips
trodden on concrete
to inch home in traffic
cause it's great to be
a blank.
Sometimes I feel like an archaeologist as I sift through various pages of my scribblings and sketches; I feel as if my younger self, even if only a few weeks younger, was more a distant ancestor than my same self. Sometimes I shake my head with amused shame at my naivete or my fleshly attitudes. Other times I wonder at the wisdom I had in that moment -- the wisdom I seem to have discarded over a lapse of time.
I unearthed this poem a few pages back in my poetry journal from September. Written to complete a school assignment, I faintly remember slapping the words onto paper and then laughing out loud at its ending. The "blank" at the end was intended to pose for an unspecified sports team, but upon re-reading I realized how philosophical and morbid it sounded! :) I can see students poring over, attempting to unearth my hidden meaning, probably something along the lines of the anonymity of modern society. And all I was doing was writing a poem with similes in it.
It would fit very well in the pages of my English Composition II anthology. (And that is not a compliment...)
1 comment:
I love you, Janey.
Love,
Me
Post a Comment