Thursday, March 5, 2009

As to the Corset

When Hiram Powers, the great sculptor, was in this country, he once attended an elegant party, and was observed watching very intently a beautifully dressed, fashionable woman. A friend, noticing his interest, said to him, "What an elegant figure she has, hasn't she?" "Well, said Powers, "I was wondering where she put her liver." - What a Young Woman Ought to Know, 1898

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha I like that one. It is crazy people will do for beauty even long ago. We put are self through a lot of pain sometimes just to look good fo couple of hours. We are crazy people.

Lauren

Gabrielle Joy said...

Do you know who wrote this book? I was doing a search for it, but it brought up too much other stuff!
You have an interesting site here!
God Bless!
Hannah

Unknown said...

Hi Hannah,

I found this quote in a delightful little book called "Keeping Hearth and Home in Old Alabama". It was compiled and edited by Carol Padgett. It is so fun!

By His grace, and for His glory,
Jane Ellen

Blessed Blackman Bunch said...

LOVE IT...TOO funny!
Lauren has a GREAT point! :P
Love all you girls! :)

Gabrielle Joy said...

I will be trying to get my hands on a copy of this book! It sounds good!
God Bless!
Hannah