I felt a thirst for the wet. No glass of water could quench it; not even a shower could fulfill that desire. I needed the rain. The soft pitter-patter. The beauty.
I ran about the yard, scrambled up a tree, and splashed in the small pools. I bruised my foot upon a root, but I kept on running. The water and wind chilled my body, but I kept searching for the wettest spots. All the while, I listened to that natural symphony, loud enough to drown out the traffic, but soft enough to lull my heart into quietude.
I watched the pearly sky turn to silver and then lead. Somewhere the sun, cloaked behind the thick blanket of clouds, was setting. The lightning I had formerly ignored grew in ferocity. The kettle drums of the storm boomed louder. Light knocks on the window reminded me of my promise to play a game with my little sisters. Slightly reluctant but thoroughly pleased, I ventured back to the house, my dress soaked, my hair awry, my soul nurtured.
5 comments:
I'd be willing to bet that no one else at the SAT tomorrow will be able to say that they frolicked in the rain tonight!
I guess I should change out of this dress now...
JE- this is beautifully written. I LOVE it! :)Are You taking the SAT tomorrow? Love you girl?
Yes, ma'am. I just got back from it!
How did your SAT go? I guess I should ask you in person. Beautifully written, sounds like fun. Why didn't you invite me? :) I love you Janey!
Bee
Bee,
SAT: It went well. The English stuff was easy; math wasn't too bad either. We'll see once I get the scores! This time around was just for experience sake, getting a feel for the test.
Invite: Well, I didn't invite you because it was near eight o'clock, I needed some chill time, and it was a bit of an impulse thing!
Love,
Janey
Post a Comment