Monday, May 17, 2010

Poetry

Confession: I love poetry, and I envy poets. Occasionally, during small God-inspired moments, I can craft a rhyme or two. More often than not, though, I am not very poetic. Therefore, I cannot help but break into a wide smile every time I see poetic brilliance. I'm in awe of the talent God gives.

Today, this poem by Wendell Berry nourished my hungry soul and encouraged my weary heart. No, it doesn't rhyme. And, no, it is not my favorite style. Nonetheless, it imparts simple truths in a smooth, sophisticated way; the words dance across the page (or screen, in this case).

"To My Mother"
Wendell Berry

And this, then,
is the vision of that
Heaven of which
we have heard, where those who love
each other have
forgiven each other,

where, for that, the leaves are green,
the light a music in the air,

and all is unentangled,
and all is undismayed.

2 comments:

~ Shannon said...

Glorious! I think true poetry transcends any particular form -- I've seen poems that fit my favorite "perfect meter, perfect rhyme" form that fail miserably, while other poems (like this one) don't seem to have any form and yet are vividly beautiful.

I, too, envy poets! I used to be quite the prolific "poet" as a child, until I realized that my carefully rhymed lines weren't actually *poetry*. Since then I've been content to marvel at others' creativity and genius. ;-)

Oh, and I keep meaning to say how much we enjoyed "The Merchant of Venice!" You did an absolutely splendid job, and I wish we had been able to visit afterwards! I'd love to get together soon!

Blessings,
Shannon

Unknown said...

Too true, Shannon! You said it all so well. Mortimer Adler comes to mind in the quote I posted a few weeks ago -- though we cannot put rules and regulations on poetry, nine times out of ten we all agree that something is poetry. (Of course, he said it far more elegantly than I ever could!)

How I would love to sit and chat with you sometime. Your blog is a breath of fresh air for me! Sometime we should plan something! (Gotta love those abstract essentially meaningless words: sometime, something.)

Hope all is well with you and Pablo! God bless!

In Christ,
Jane Ellen