Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Autumn

Why do I so adore autumn?

~I love cold, crisp weather and warm, cozy houses.
~I love hot drinks and delectable food.
~I love the earthy colors of the season.
~I love watching leaves fall from trees and crunching them as I walk.
~I love the beginning of the amiable holiday season.
~I love pulling out all my Christmas music and movies.
~I love bundling up in sweaters and gloves.
~I love all the memories of autumn's past.
~I love going to the Nutcracker ballet.
~I love pumpkins, cranberries and apples.

Yes, I live in Florida and yes, our leaves don't really change color or fall to the ground. And I know it doesn't even really get all that cold here, but I love autumn all the same! Yesterday, I began my search through for a thoughtful quote or poem to add to this post. This morning I found one that will suffice. Enjoy it and, yes even though I am still amidst heat and humidity, celebrate fall!

"As yet the blue-bells linger on the sod
That copes the sheepfold ring, and in the woods,
A second blow of many flowers appears,
Flowers faintly tinged and breathing no perfume;
But fruits, not blossoms, form the woodland wreathe
That circles Autumn's brow: The ruddy haws
Now clothe the half leaved thorn, the bramble bends
Beneath it's jetty load; the hazel hangs
With auburn branches, dipping in the stream
That sweeps along, and threatens to o'erflow
The leaf-strewn banks: -Oft statue-like I gaze,
In vacancy of thought, upon that stream,
And chase, with dreaming eye, the eddying foam
Or rowan's clustered branch, or harvest sheaf,
Borne rapidly down the dizzying flood."
-Grahame

3 comments:

~ Shannon said...

I feel the same way, Jane Ellen! I'm quite envious right now of people who live in climates that don't require "imagination" to make it seem like Fall! ;-) I can't wait until we get some cold weather down here!

Lovely post, and a lovely poem!

Yours in Christ,
Shannon

emme said...

I love Fall, too, and here in Michigan we do get a beautiful "real" Fall...but it lasts for too, too short a time!

~Emily

Unknown said...

Ah, Shannon, I know exactly what you mean about Florida falls requiring a great stretch of the imagination.

Emme, you make me so jealous!

It was slightly cooler today than normal (well, actually there was just a breeze), so perhaps this means that fall is actually on the way?

In Christ,
Jane Ellen