Thursday, September 24, 2009

YangJiang Orphanage


Our cramped tour bus screeched to a halt in front of the shabby building. Instinctively I surveyed my surroundings while advancing out. Dirty and rundown, the orphanage stood, enveloped in heavy humidity. A faint smile danced on my face as I spotted wrinkled men amid a fog of cigar smoke eagerly wave their hands and rattle in Chinese. We passed through a doorway and mounted a flight of filthy stairs. Reaching the second story, we were warmly greeted by bubbling nannies, who instructed us to enter the orphans’ room a few at a time. I hastily prepared myself for a grimy sight. Hushed, I entered and found myself gawking, not at a filthy mess, but a sterile room -- tidy, scrubbed, and sanitary; my reflection sparkled on the tile floor. I gazed at masses of cage-like cribs, each occupied by a baby. Strangely, though, no sound reached my ears. A whimper, a giggle, anything would have been welcome. I only beheld blank stares, grave stares, lonely stares. My eyes hunted up and down the aisles of cribs. I waded through the infants, searching for one face. At last, I found it; I found her. Reaching to embrace my sister, I lifted a prayer of thanksgiving that she would escape an orphan’s fate.


I admit, this is a slightly morbid topic. However, Mama suggested I begin to add a few of my writing assignments to my blog. By the way, most of the facts in this paper are true, but we did not get Emmy from this orphanage. Even though it is a bit sad, I hope you can find enjoyment in it. And maybe, just maybe, I will inspire one or two of you to adopt!

*Edit: Please excuse the large print above. Blogger is acting up and doesn't seem to want me to fix that!

3 comments:

~ Shannon said...

I didn't find it morbid at all! It's a topic that most people don't know first-hand, but one that it's important for them to know about. That picture is haunting -- each little baby in each little crib, with all the potential and possibilities of a life.

Thank you for sharing that tidbit!

Blessings,
Shannon

Anonymous said...

Excellent writing! I would have wanted to pick up a child. Even seeing the picture I wanted to care for and cuddle a chinese baby.

Bee

Anonymous said...

Wow your writing is amazing! I really enjoy reading all your pieces because they are written with so much wit.